Saturday, June 27, 2009

Quick Book Review - The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins


What I liked: Intriguing, quick moving story. Witty, sardonic, interesting characters. Great layout in epistolary style.

What I didn't like: Typical detective novel in that I saw who-done-it but didn't see why-done-it as the withholding of critical information is integral to the story style. Also, not the novel's fault at all but this "Barnes and Noble Classics" publication is terribly cheaply constructed as the corners started to turn up almost upon my touch. Also, not the novel's fault, but a product of the time in which the author lived, but the romance between the first cousins is icky. Just icky.

So glad I picked up this Dickens' contemporary and creator of the entire detective novel genre and would definitely do so again.

1 comment:

Altius Directory said...

Buy famous children books, science & Finance books at low price.
Famous Books Store Online