Thursday, April 9, 2009

NPR thoughts

This morning's NPR reports kept leading to book related thoughts. Surprise.

First there was segment regarding "brown fat", specifically on weight loss. Now, I don't give a flying Snickers about weight, as I've long accepted the extra padding my kids gifted me with. But what caught my interest was the reference to mitochondria. I fondly remembered the first time I'd heard of mitochondria - Madeline L'Engle's "A Wind in the Door", the book that followed her award-winning "A Wrinkle in Time." L'Engle's children's novels were awesome in that they never presumed to talk down to young adults. She made learning about science an adventure.

Also, NPR interviewed Sandra Cisnarios this morning on the 25th Anniversary of her novel "The House on Mango Street." I always felt this book was especially relevant on the idea of home versus the place one lives. I haven't read this one in so long, but feel I'm ready to pick it up again.

No comments: