Friday, April 3, 2009

Favorite Find of the Day


Was able to crack open another box today (thanks road work for all the free time!) and was super pleased to find it filled with vintage children's books. Children's literature is a favorite of mine, thanks to a childhood filled with a lot of time on my hands and unfettered access to the public library.

I was most happy to pull out of the box, Astrid Lindgren's "Of Course Polly Can Ride A Bike." Most readers will recall Lindgren's unforgettable character Pippilotta Delicatessa Windowshade Mackrelmint Ephraimsdaughter Longstocking, otherwise known as Pippi Longstocking. I couldn't get enough of Pippi with her emotional and physical strength and her intelligence. She was mocking, scarcastic and often rude to those adults she was forced to interact with but was also, so much fun and truly a good friend. I was forever trying to make my own braids jut sideways from my head, but I was weird like that anyway.

Lindgren's personality shines on in "Of Course Polly Can Ride A Bike" as Polly channels Pippi's spunk to prove she can ride a bicycle like her older brother and sister. The illustrations are so bright and complete the story.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I sent you an email about a chicken in the backyard session. :)

Think we might be coming in this weekend!

Miss chatting with you!

Amy