Friday, January 23, 2009

Decision of the Day

I'm driving the mister crazy every time I call him excited about some recent Obama Administration decision. So I've decided to just post my favorite Decision of the Day. I'll probably still call him anyway.
This morning, the House approved The Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act (H.R. 11) clarifying that every paycheck or compensation resulting from an earlier discriminatory pay decision constituted a violation under the Civil Rights Act. Workers are now required to file their charges within 180 days of a discriminatory paycheck. This Act is a clear legislative repudiation of the 2007 Supreme Court decision in Ledbetter v. Goodyear, which ruled employees who believe they've been paid less because of their race, sex, religion or national origin (my own note: where's protection for sexual orientation?) have 180 days after an employer makes a discriminatory pay decision to file a complaint with the EEOC.

The SCOTUS decision was impractical (and frankly out of touch with employee reality) considering an employee is rarely privy to the inner workings of the HR department. It often takes time and employee gossip to realize when you've been shafted.

Thanks Lilly for taking this case to court and sorry you didn't get the compensation you deserved. For legal reasons, fairness, and my own personal experience of work place pay discrimination based solely on my sex, this is my favorite Decision of the Day.

No comments: