Saturday, December 27, 2008

Benjamin Button

For what it is worth, I'm a little sorry I didn't take a moment to read F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Curious Case of Benjamin Button because I was totally blow away by the movie. From what I understand, the book is actually set in Baltimore, but after seeing the movie, I couldn't conceive of Benjamin flourishing anywhere but in New Orleans. Not only the quirky characters but the acceptance of the little man/boy seem a genuine New Orleans trait. Movie filming wise, I loved playing spot-the-location. And as grand as it was to see my own little Oak/ Carrollton corner featured, the continuity didn't make much sense as Benjamin lived in the Garden District and was trying to find his way home by streetcar from the Quarter. Also, I was more upset by the Katrina references than I'd expected. Bookending the story with Katrina took much of the magic away from the beauty and unexpectedness of Benjamin's life.

Well, if anyone was thinking of trading in their copy, it will land on my personal stack of must-reads.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You might also read The Confessions of Max Tivoli...some remarkable and suspicious similarities.

-a frequenter of your store.

Blue Cypress Books said...

Thanks for the suggestion! The Onion's website also recommended this in addition to Martin Amis' "Time's Arrow", Dan Simmon's "Hyperion", and "The Time Traveler's Wife" by Audrey Niffenegger.

WorkingWords100 said...

Ok Elizabeth,
How did the clock going backwards affect how Benjamin Button was born? There was some connection, but I missed it. Kate Blanchett (as the old lady) explained it but I had trouble understanding her in the beginning.
Isabel