Thursday, October 23, 2008

Trouble in Fiction

Book organization and categories go with the bookselling territory. I decided long ago that when it came to fiction, I would place all fiction in one section, alphabetical order by author, and leave it at that.

Well, the Mister, who really really likes Sci Fi/Fantasy/Speculative Fiction was aghast. So, there goes a different section for Sci Fi, et al.

Now, not a day goes by without a lovely customer asking for my "mystery section." When I explain my, may I say, well-conceived system, I watch his/her face fall in disappointment and then I feel bad.

The thing is, I don't really need the added trouble. Fiction was supposed to be the easiest shelving system. Don't even get me started on the Religion/Spirituality/Self-Help/Motivational/Occult/Atheism, ugg. But I am supposed to do what the customer wants, right?

So, starting next week, I'll start a "Mystery" section. But do I include Crime/Thrillers? What about True Crime? Crud.

1 comment:

Pax Bobrow said...

I am SO with your Mister, here. So I'm glad sci-fi got it's own section. My Mister says it's fine if mysteries and thrillers are all jumbled together, and he's the mystery reader in the family.

So listen, I have two sample ads I've made for you, plus your card in image format (not .pdf) but I don't know your email address. Send me an email and I'll send them to you, okay?

--Pax