Friday, June 13, 2008

Can't . . . Fight . . . Oprah . . .

So after four inquiries this week regarding whether or not I carried a particular "Oprah's Book Club Book", I am forced to give the Overlord her due.

I searched Ms. Winfrey's website twice seeking immediate customer information a but snuck back later on my own. I'm not agreeing completely with some who contend Oprah's choices are too mainstream (i.e. made for the shopping ladies) but where is the rhyme or reason to her book choices? I looked over the last few months and saw diet books, sleep books, sex books (in a nice heterosexual marriage kinda way), memoirs from journalists to sports stars to Mormon's trapped in arranged marriages, some fiction, and ironically from a Empire that publishes a monthly magazine on stuff to buy, a book about the dangers of consumerism.

A quick glance of Blue Cypress Books startled me in that I had many "Oprah" books on the shelves and several of them were quite good. Does Oprah need her own shelf in my little store? Must . . . resist . . .

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Maybe not a whole shelf. How about a few "O" stickers scattered about? Or map of the store with stars to indicate where the books are.

Great post, by the way.